It’s National Safe Boating Week
To encourage safe boating practices, May 19-25 is designated as National Safe Boating Week.
With the Memorial Day Weekend kicking off boating season for many Georgia residents, here are some some safety tips all boaters should keep in mind:
- Wear a life jacket. Georgia law requires children under 10 wear a life jacket while on a moving boat. The law also requires that you have a life jacket for every person on board the watercraft.
- Designate a sober skipper. Boat operators should keep a clear head. Drinking alcohol and taking drugs, including over-the-counter or prescription medications, can affect your judgment and vision.
- Don’t overload your boat with equipment or people. Check the capacity plate for the maximum amount of weight and people you can carry.
- Keep a VHF Radio onboard. It allows you to put out a call for help to anyone in your area monitoring Channel 16, including the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Get a vessel safety check from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary or the U.S. Power Squadrons - it’s free!