Mothers against Drunk Driving (MADD) was first established in 1980 in California to support those affected by drunk driving, to prevent underage drinking and to pushed for stricter alcohol policies. Since its inception, MADD claims that drunk driving has been cut in half.

It seems that MADD has indeed been making its impact as the total number of DUI deaths decreased between 2010 and 2012. Maybe it is time then that MADD be interchangeable with Mothers against Distracted Driving.

Distracted driving has killed an estimated 16,000 between 2001 and 2007, according to the American Journal of Public Health. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 11 percent of drivers at any one time, during daylight hours, are using their cellphones. It is estimated that more than 420,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes with a distracted driver in 2012 – a nine percent increase from the estimated number of people injured in 2011.

Additionally, although the Institute for Highway Safety does confirm that there are 11 teen deaths each day due to distracted driving, it is not just teens who are distracted while driving. In 2013, AT&T surveyed adult and teen drivers about their habits behind the wheel. About 49 percent of adults admitted to texting and driving while 43 percent of teens admitted to texting while behind the wheel.

While MADD is an important organization, it is likely that their message will not change. However, campaigns against texting and driving have begun to pop up. In 2012 AT&T began the “It Can Wait” campaign which allows teens and adults to pledge that they will never text and drive. Pledgees can even share their pledges Facebook and Twitter and ask others to take the pledge with them.

It may not be MADD, but it definitely is a good start and will likely contribute to the decline of texting while driving.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a texting and driving accident, contact a distracted driving lawyer from The Eiccholz Law Firm at (866) 947-7449 to determine if you may be entitled to compensation for property damage and injuries sustained.