On Monday the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced they were investigating reports of five separate deaths allegedly linked to Monster energy drinks.
The family of Anais Fournier filed a lawsuit last week against Monster Beverage Corp claiming that the company failed to warn consumers about the drink’s dangers.
Fournier, a 14-year-old girl, died from cardiac arrest after consuming two cans of Monster energy drink over a 24-hour period. The lawsuit claims the girl died from cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that complicated a pre-existing heart condition.
Monster Beverage Corp. claims that the drinks did not cause the teenager’s death.
According to NBC News, from 2009 to June 2012 the FDA received reports of five deaths and one heart attack that may have been caused by Monster energy drinks.