Sears and Kmart are recalling 795,000 Kenmore dehumidifiers sold between 2003 and 2005 due to a possible fire and burn hazard. The units can overheat, melt, smoke, and catch fire.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has received over 100 reports of overheating incidents, including three smoke inhalation injuries and over $7 million in property damage.
The recall affects 35-, 50- and 70-pint dehumidifiers with a Kenmore logo on the front top of the unit.
Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the dehumidifiers. Depending on the size of the unit, owners can receive a Sears gift card for $75, $80, $90 or $100, or they can contact Sears for a refund.