Do you know how to tell when you need new tires? Do you check your tire pressure monthly? How does weather affect your tires? Most drivers don’t really know how to answer any of these questions which is why the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has launched a TireWise campaign that will educate drivers on tire safety.
It is estimated that each year there are nearly 200 fatal accidents caused by tire problems; overall there are approximately 11,000 tire-related car crashes.
The NHTSA’s SaferCar website will be featuring a section focused on tire safety, tire recalls and complaints and informative videos on the life of a tire. Some key information on the site includes:
- How to select the right type and size of tire
- How to check your tire pressure
- Checking tires for wear and other defects
- Checking the age of your tire and what makes tires prone to aging and failure
- How to check your tire’s conditions throughout the seasons
- Knowing when to replace your tires
It is important for drivers to learn more about these topics as many tire-related car accidents are preventable.
The NHTSA is billing TireWise as “a resource for tire manufacturers, sellers and other partners to provide essential information to consumers for choosing and caring for their tires.”
To learn more visit www.safercar.gov/tires and check your vehicle’s tires today to ensure that your vehicle is safe.