Progressive Car Accident Lawyer
Progressive Insurance Methods
This corporation is beholden to its shareholders, so it must work to maintain a high level of profitability to keep those shareholders happy. One method Progressive uses comes in the form of incentives offered to claims adjusters for settling cases with victims at a financial amount that is far less than the real value of the claim. Insurance adjusters have extensive experience dealing with and negotiating such settlements every day, while the average car accident victim rarely ever deals with a claims process to receive a fair compensation amount for damages.
Insurance companies know and follow proven tactics and strategies in determining the value of a claim. They use computer algorithms and specific protocols in establishing the amount a case is worth. So, for an accident victim to resolve a case at a financial amount equal to its worth, he or she must be able to effectively prove their side of the claim. This is an overwhelming process for most individuals, and they find it in their best interest to rely on the experience and skill of a qualified personal injury attorney to maneuver through all the legal procedures involved.
How Can an Auto Accident Attorney Help?
A skilled car accident insurance attorney will gather and use evidence such as:
- Current and past medical records to identify new injuries caused by the crash
- Police reports with information gathered at the scene
- Bills resulting from the accident (hospital, doctor, therapist, etc.)
- Amount of lost wages
- Photo evidence from the crash site
- Witness testimony from legal and medical experts regarding injuries and the cause of the accident
- Eyewitness accounts from individuals at the scene
- Evidence acquired from vehicles involved
- Value of non-tangible damages to the victim like pain, suffering, emotional stress and mental anguish
Accident Victim's Steps
To achieve the best chance of recovering fair compensation for damages suffered in a car wreck for both personal injury and property damage, a victim should:
- Fully document the extent of physical injuries and make sure passengers in the vehicle do the same.
- See a doctor as soon as possible for an evaluation and any treatment recommendations. Some injuries don’t show up immediately. Get evaluated by a professional.
- If at all possible, take pictures at the scene, noting vehicle positions and damage.
- Make written notes about the accident while the event is still fresh. List time of accident, weather conditions, amount of traffic, other driver’s behavior, etc.
- Notify your own insurance company about the accident as soon as possible.
- Do not sign any documents, except for law enforcement. Consult with an attorney first.
- Do not discuss thoughts about the accident or who might have caused it. Have this conversation with a lawyer.
Progressive, one of the biggest insurance providers in the U.S., has had its reputation tarnished by controversies that include:
- 2007 – CEO Glenn Renwick made an apology for the company spying on churchgoers while attempting to gather information on individuals who had filed lawsuits against Progressive. The litigants, in return, filed another lawsuit against the company for fraud and invasion of privacy.
- 2012 – Progressive received heavy criticism and numerous threats of policy cancellations in the wake of its handling of claims filed by family members of Kaitlynn Fisher, a woman struck and killed by a driver in Baltimore who ran a red light.
- 2016 – In a federal class-action lawsuit, Progressive agreed to settle and pay over $8 million to 4,300 residents in Massachusetts. The case stemmed from a lengthy dispute over coverage.
- 2016 – The company settled with policyholders in New Mexico over allegations involving Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage.
Even though Progressive presents itself as an upbeat, feel-good insurance provider, it is clear that this large company is capable of wrongdoing where consumers are concerned. Because of this, individuals facing a claims process with the industry giant often choose to have an experienced and highly skilled legal representative on their side to help ensure a fair outcome.
Speak With a Progressive Car Insurance Lawyer Today
Our car accident lawyers have been dealing with insurance companies like Progressive for many years. We know the tricks that Progressive will use to keep you from getting your money and we know how to take the fight to them when the success and viability of your claim are at stake. Contact us today if you are dealing with Progressive and want to get every penny that you deserve.
Call 855-551-1019 or fill out an online form for a free case evaluation.