Without question, an individual involved in a Social Security Disability claim will want to choose a legal representative with professional experience. Because many applicants are rejected initially when they file, many people get discouraged and walk away from the process. Sadly, this means that genuinely eligible individuals fail to receive deserved benefits simply because the system is working against them. This is where The Eichholz Law Firm can help.
Social Security Disability Lawyer in Atlanta GA
Why Are You Being Denied?
Prior Convictions – In general, past convictions do not necessarily harm one’s ability to receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) benefits. However, convicts are not eligible to receive such benefits if any of the following apply:
- The disability happened (or was worsened) during the commission of a felony
- The disability started or worsened while time was being served in a correctional facility
- The individual intentionally widowed or orphaned themselves to receive benefits
- Parole or probation was violated
Drug or Alcohol Dependence – No eligibility exists if the applicant’s addiction to drugs or alcohol was a material contributor to the disability.
Failure to Comply – The Social Security Administration (SSA) requires that applicants submit their medical records obtained from a primary care physician. If this requirement is not met, it could result in a denial of SSDI. If there is no primary care doctor, SSA will arrange for an exam to be performed by one of its physicians. If the applicant misses the appointment or refuses to be examined, benefits will be denied.
Fraud – SSA can terminate an individual’s benefits if it is determined that false information was given on the application concerning the disability. Also, the individual can be legally prosecuted for fraud.
Short-Term Disability – For SSA to deem a person eligible to receive short-term benefits, the agency decides whether the impairment will exist up to a year in length. An example would include the duration of injuries sustained in a vehicle accident. Applicants who are blind are not subject to this requirement.
Seeking an Experienced Social Security Disability Lawyers in Atlanta GA
Unfortunately, if an individual is initially denied benefits, a reconsideration application will likely meet the same demise. For this reason, it is strongly suggested that people talk with an experienced disability lawyer who knows the “ins and outs” of SSA’s appeals process.
Our law firm has found the following to be among the most common disabilities people face:
- Hip fractures or disorders
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Back problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety disorder
Establishing that a genuine impairment exists, which creates the inability to perform gainful employment successfully, is not an easy task. However, our attorneys have a history of effectively preparing claims that present compelling evidence regarding the impairment, the applicant’s age, and education, plus their inability to work.
Why Should One Hire a Disability Lawyer?
By hiring a Social Security Disability lawyer in Atlanta GA, the individual will receive the help of someone who thoroughly understands the application system and its nature and the correct approach to achieve the desired result. Many applicants get turned down for benefits the first time they apply, but this does not equate to never being approved. By filing for an appeal with a skilled disability lawyer’s assistance, a great many people find approval.
With the proper documentation and paperwork, a conscientious attorney can quickly get all necessary application forms and appeal documents headed in the right direction to the right people in the correct departments.
These cases are important for the individual who is applying, but they are also crucial for their family members and dependents. There should be no doubt that choosing the right Social Security attorney can mean the difference between night and day for an entire family’s future.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
- Correct Medical Documentation – A knowledgeable disability lawyer knows how to properly develop necessary medical evidence to establish an applicant’s specific medical condition. When a case is received, the skilled disability lawyer meticulously reviews all of the records to determine whether further testing and medical documentation are required to help solidly establish the client’s medical issue.
- Experience Communicating With Medical Providers – Doctors generally find it easier to discuss disability with another professional. They are more likely to respond positively with an experienced disability lawyer who can effectively answer the concerns and questions that a physician might have.
- A Legal Representative for Appeals – Following an initial denial, the claim can then be appealed. A disability attorney will be allowed to speak for the applicant at all reconsideration hearings and proceedings. In preparation, the lawyer will acquire key medical evidence to submit and maintain communication with the doctors and medical professionals who treat the client. The attorney will also help prepare the applicant for questions that may arise during any queries from the administrative law judge.
- Correcting Vocational Experts’ Testimony – An experienced disability lawyer is skilled at countering the damaging testimony frequently presented by vocational experts at disability hearings. Further, the attorney is adept at turning the situation around and eliciting positive, supportive comments instead.
- Effectively Winning Case Arguments – Many different argument types are used to defend a disability claim legally. With a successful track record on which to rely, a knowledgeable attorney can readily identify the specific points to present that will match the client’s medical issue and past work history. The complexity of these legal arguments can prove difficult to grasp without a qualified disability lawyer’s assistance.
When to Contact a Social Security Disability Lawyer in Atlanta GA
In general, the earlier a lawyer is contacted, the better for the applicant. Even if a person is merely considering filing for disability, it is wise to have a free consultation with a disability attorney. This helps determine the strength of a case and how to approach the initial application. In reality, having an experienced lawyer from the start makes it more likely that the applicant will get approved.
Suppose it is clear that an attorney’s legal assistance helps from the start of a disability claim. In that case, it should be even more apparent that an attorney’s help is more critical if there has been an application denial by SSA.
Contact The Eichholz Law Firm
Agencies exist in the state both on the private and public levels to provide help and advocacy for individuals with disabilities. The Georgia Advocacy Office is one such agency, but it cannot give legal representation for an appeal hearing. Some cases go through multiple appeals and end up in federal court, where an applicant has to have a disability lawyer. Many individuals have found peace of mind early in the process by consulting a lawyer in the beginning stages instead of waiting.
We recommend that you contact a Social Security Disability lawyer in Atlanta, GA, during the early stages of the appeals process, as it could save you a lot of stress and time in the long run. Make an appointment for a free consultation with our legal team today. Our office is located at Hurt Bldg, Hurt Plaza SE #1515, Atlanta, GA 30303.