pills-scatteredA 21-year-old woman from Shropshire, England fell victim to the dangers of the unregulated supplement industry after consuming slimming pills she purchased via the Internet.

In a report by The Guardian, the woman’s mother describes how doctors and nurses explained to her that her daughter’s body was literally burning from the inside out after having taken the pills.

The woman allegedly purchased the pills online and took eight tablets, which made her begin to feel unwell around lunchtime on April 12. She showed no signs of serious complications as her mother drove her to the hospital, but once toxicology tests were run, doctors explained that her situation had turned deadly.

“The drug was in her system, there was no antidote, two tablets was a lethal dose and she had taken eight,” the woman’s mother said in a tribute posted online. “As [she] deteriorated, the staff in A&E did all they could to stabilise her.”

The toxicology report indicated that the pills the woman took contained dinitrophenol, or DNP, a highly toxic industrial chemical. At this point, authorities do not know where online the woman purchased the pills, but West Mercia police are attempting to track down details of the sale.

“As [she] deteriorated, the staff… did all they could to stabilise her.”

A coroner’s report will establish the exact cause of he woman’s death, but officials from the Food Standard Agency and the woman’s mother are pleading with the public to avoid purchasing any substances online.

The supplement industry is not regulated by any government agency, and substances purchased from a website can be out-of-date or completely fake. In this case, the woman took more than four times the lethal amount of the pills she purchased, but any amount would have been toxic to the human body.

If you or someone you love has been injured by a dangerous drug, contact The Eichholz Law Firm for a free review of your case.